Skip to main content

Oatmeal Squares


I can't believe I haven't taken a photo of the meal I eat most often: oatmeal squares. I'm not a big breakfast person, what with not liking eggs and all, and sugar first thing in the morning makes me sick; so cereal is usually my go-to. Plus, it's quick. Perfect for someone like me who doesn't like to spend more than 10 minutes on a meal.

And I really do turn this into a meal. Rarely do I ever eat oatmeal squares by itself. I will always add pepita and chia seeds if I have them on hand (and I try to have both) and some form of fruit. Blueberries and strawberries are my go-to, but raspberries are my favorite when they're in season and I can pick them right from the back yard. If I'm in a bind, I'll put a banana in there. I love bananas and eat them multiple times a day, but I don't like them so much in cereal. They get soggy and make everything taste like banana. Then I'll top my cereal off with some granola, maybe some raisins, and another type of cereal, like Bran Flakes or Kashi's Heart to Heart, if I'm feeling it.

As I said, it really is a meal, and I always feel really proud of myself for how healthy and well-rounded it looks. It may only be cereal, but it's cereal with a ton of fruit, nuts, and oats.

In spite of how healthy it looks, I've always wondered how healthy it actually is. I know it's not laced with sugar and figure it must be pretty high on the fiber content, being made from oats, but that's as far as I actually know about it. But today I did a search for oatmeal squares and the first thing that popped up was this:


I was incredibly surprised. The fiber content is actually lower than I expected (that's okay), but the protein content is much higher than I expected (which is to say, none); and I'm blown out of the water that the iron content is 91%! I've always struggled with reaching my daily iron intake because I don't eat most of the foods that iron is strong in (e.g. eggs, pork, fish), so this is a big deal for me. 

As a side note: while I was just now looking up iron-rich foods, I found out that pepita seeds fall under that category AND they are also one of the highest sources for magnesium. Here was me thinking I didn't get enough iron or magnesium this entire time!

On that same note, oatmeal squares also have a decent amount of magnesium, which is a mineral that I've been focusing a lot on lately for exercising.

So it turns out that oatmeal squares are actually a lot healthier for me than I thought! I won't feel so bad about eating it practically every day now, haha. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might