Skip to main content

New pole achievements



Kind of, not really. Mostly Kate helped me fix some longstanding issues I've had with a few moves. Kate honestly fixes everything I have problems with. She got me my shoulder mount, my first handspring, chopper, superman (cross your ankles and push your hips down), dove, aerial chopper... and now she helped me get my Ayesha and shoulder mount bounce!

I could always do a shoulder mount bounce, but apparently -- according to Tiffany -- I was becoming too vertical when I did it. I never noticed and it never caused any issues, but there you have it. So I asked Kate for help; she saw exactly what I was talking about; and she told me to only pop my hips directly upward instead of upward and towards the pole. Sure enough, that worked! Now I can show Tiffany on Thursday.

Image result for shoulder mount splitsTrue grip Ayesha has been my nemesis move for a while now despite being able to handspring into one just fine from cup and twisted. If I were only able to do it from twisted, I would say that strength was the issue here; but since I can now cup grip handspring just fine and hold it significantly, I know that's not the case. Also, I found a way to get into it from Scorpio the other day, and that poses zero problems for me. Once I'm there I can actually hold it in a pencil and bend back into a fang (every time a little longer than the last). So it is not a matter of strength.

Kate said that my hips weren't squared enough, but no matter how much I tried to square them, I couldn't get it. Then tonight in class she told me to pretend like I was sitting on the ceiling. As I was upside down saying "Pretend you're sitting. Pretend you're sitting" out loud to myself, I suddenly noticed I was in Ayesha. Holy crap! So I did it again and got it the second time! And then the third! Apparently, that's all I had to do. I suspect that what I did was take my feet off at the same time instead of one and then the other, but I don't want to overthink it and then jinx myself. I hope I can get it next time again.

I shoulder remind Kate to help me with my superman (why can't I get it in my crotch instead of my thighs?) and arms only climb next week.

So this and last week pole achievements include:
  • Ayesha 3-ways: from handspring, Scorpio, and inverted D
  • Shoulder mount bounce (correctly)
  • Holding cup grip handspring for 5-10 seconds, including being able to bend one knee and hold it
  • Deadlift handspring prep. Can now take legs off the ground on right side and dangle
  • Splits in shoulder mount (putting one leg between gripped hands on pole)
  • Pencil and fang from true grip Ayesha


 Next week I want to work on getting into Sneaky V from brass monkey. I tried it once today at the very end of class, but I think I can get this. I also want to practice inverting and shoulder mounting on my bad side

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

Working on my arms-only climb

I've been working on my arms-only climb for a month now and I'm finally making some progress. At first I literally couldn't pull myself up at all; I just hung there. But I've been working on it at home, even if I do nothing else on the pole. I'll just walk up to it, do a few pulls, and then go on my merry way. Yesterday I dropped in on Kate's level 3 class after going to Power Yoga at the Monkey Bar Gym and a really boring, pointless weapons class at karate; and despite having very tired arms, I managed 3 solid pulls up the pole. The most I've gotten is 3 pulls in the past, but these were the first time that they've felt totally controlled with my arms bent almost the entire time. I've felt envious at the other girls in my level 6 class because they've been able to do this climb since Day 1, but the more I watch them the more I realize they're actually using their legs like a straddle climb. So they're not actually doing the move, alt...