Skip to main content

Trapeze! Building pull-up strength

I don't think I've written a post since I started taking classes at Anna Aerial inside Turner Hall. I started off with silks, then added some lyra, and just recently, dance trapeze.

Trapeze is by far my favorite. I've always wanted to try trapeze but have been pushing it off, even longer than silks and lyra, because of my shoulder. But my instructor felt I'd be fine given that I can do lyra and silks without too many problems. I never would have thought that of the three apparatuses it would be my favorite, but I started to suspect it would be after I had done more silks and lyra.

I'm still not sure how I feel about silks and lyra. I definitely enjoy doing both, but none of them have stuck a powerful love in me like pole did and like trapeze is starting to, although I suspect what you can do with trapeze is more limited. I do love lyra the most for it's beauty. It's the only apparatus I've been on that's actually made me feel pretty. Pole makes me feel strong but not beautiful. Silks doesn't make me feel that way, either, although I suspect that I might feel differently if I actually saw what I looked like. It's the transitioning into the moves that makes me feel so ungraceful. That part of silks is just not very appealing.

Also, surprisingly, silks has been the easiest for me and trapeze the hardest. I've read everywhere that silks is by and large the most difficult of all aerial arts because it requires the most amount of strength in all areas of the body; and trapeze is always touted as the easiest. Lyra, too, is usually described as one of the easier ones. Well, I've found the complete opposite to be true. I think it has to do with the fact that silks is vertical like a pole, so my strength translates very well; whereas with lyra and - more so - trapeze, it utilizes more horizontal pull-up movements, which are muscles I've never used. The moves themselves on lyra are really, really easy for me, but the transitions are really hard. I haven't felt my arms burn so much since I went rock climbing for the first time in almost 8 years. One time, I literally couldn't pull myself back up, so I had to drop down.

With this problem, I decided it was high time that I start working on pull-ups and chin-ups. I can't get a pull-up bar because I don't want to do damage to the house, so I've started to find creative alternatives. I've starting practicing on the bar of the treadmill downstairs, for example, or on the bleacher bars in the Pettit when I went running last week. It's honestly already made a difference, even though I can't do many of anything. I was able to hold myself and do a lot more egg beaters on the trapeze this week, for example, and getting into a back hold was so much easier this week.

Speaking of, apparently I'm able to do back balances really easily, which my instructor was really freakin' impressed by. In general, I've noticed my balance is much better than normal in the past few months. I can hold yoga poses better than most people, and things like balances on lyra and trapeze come relatively easy. And since I could get into a back balance the hard way, my instructor let me do a star pose.


Image result for trapeze back balance

Other things we've done are monkey rolls (I'm getting better! But I still keep getting lots of bruises), sitting to standing on top of the bar by doing a flip, then flipping back down to sitting, mermaid, and the trapeze version of gemini (I guess it's called gazelle).

Image result for trapeze gazelle

In other news, I lost my handspring about a month ago and haven't been able to get it back. I can't even pull myself off the ground now. I went from 100% to barely 15%. The motions don't even feel right anymore. I thought taking a break from doing things would help because my arms were feeling insanely weak and tired, but it didn't help at all. My shoulder mounts are getting stronger and stronger on the other hand, but this is very frustrating. I feel like as I'm getting better at aerial stuff, I'm getting worse at pole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might