Skip to main content

Advanced to Silks 2 - new pole studio

Quick little post to say that last week I advanced to Silks 2 at Turner Hall, which is their highest level for the advanced students. It turned out to be less difficult than I expected, although equally as intimidating; and the other girls struggled in much the same way I did, which made me feel much better. I'm pretty proud to have moved up to advanced silks in less than 6 months, a feat I attribute to all my pole training.

Speaking of pole, I finally found another studio to practice at. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I'm taking advanced pole classes (and a performance-choreography class) at Blush in West Allis. At first, it started off as a spinning pole class with Chelsea; and then because I had no place else to practice, I asked the owner if I could try out their advanced class.

The format is very much like the elite class was at Studio Phoenix, where you just learn whatever you want to learn and the teacher gives you 1:1 guidance. I'm not sure if I like that or not, but I know I like it at least somewhat because this teacher is actually advanced and can teach me the things I want to know. She's going to help me on my Janeiro, meathook, Batwing, and reverse elbow hooks, which I desperately need help with.








I feel better at the very least having a place to learn new things. I've also been dropping into Koko's studio in Racine; but honestly, I don't really feel comfortable with her as a teacher. She makes me feel very on edge and insecure about myself; but I like Kim, the owner, very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

Working on my arms-only climb

I've been working on my arms-only climb for a month now and I'm finally making some progress. At first I literally couldn't pull myself up at all; I just hung there. But I've been working on it at home, even if I do nothing else on the pole. I'll just walk up to it, do a few pulls, and then go on my merry way. Yesterday I dropped in on Kate's level 3 class after going to Power Yoga at the Monkey Bar Gym and a really boring, pointless weapons class at karate; and despite having very tired arms, I managed 3 solid pulls up the pole. The most I've gotten is 3 pulls in the past, but these were the first time that they've felt totally controlled with my arms bent almost the entire time. I've felt envious at the other girls in my level 6 class because they've been able to do this climb since Day 1, but the more I watch them the more I realize they're actually using their legs like a straddle climb. So they're not actually doing the move, alt...