Skip to main content

January 17, 2024: Novel, Epcot, Stained Glass, and Plants

The last time I posted was last year in January, sheesh. And I remember that day vividly. I was inside a little cafe off Colonial and Mills, writing on my iPad. I swear that was only a few months ago, not a year. 

I keep oscillating between writing in my physical journal or online, and the result is that I write in neither. So although I'd like to write in my tangible journal (and not on this outdated P.O.S.), something is better than nothing. 

This is a simple update. Today (on my 18th [week]day of unemployment), I cut the pieces for the stained glass work I'm making in class (I signed up for a 4-week class at The Stained Glass House in off Virginia in Orlando. This was week 2), I went to Epcot with Bryan and Luka during the day (it's the first week of the Festival of the Arts -- or FARTS, as I like to call it), and (almost) finished the 21st chapter of my book. I've been stuck in revision mode for the past few months; but I've been making myself write a few pages a day while unemployed, and it's paying off. 

This stained glass class proves I have a knack for it. Of course I still make mistakes and am learning, but the cutting, grinding (and hopefully, foiling) come easy to me; although which cuts to make and which pliers to use still confuse me and give me some anxiety. More importantly, I deeply enjoy every step of it. I don't think there's a part that isn't my favorite. I really could see myself doing this a full-time hobby somewhere. 

My pieces so far. It's supposed to be a tulip (or ear of corn)


Me having a conversation with Walt (at Epcot) and telling him to please still hire me. I still haven't heard back from the recruiter yet.


I'm growing plants! (Again) I decided I wanted food in my back yard and to give it another shot. Although it's really cold outside and we've had a lot of 30/40 degree days, they're springing up! Hopefully, they continue to grow and don't freeze, get eaten, or run out of space again (like the cucumbers did).








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

Working on my arms-only climb

I've been working on my arms-only climb for a month now and I'm finally making some progress. At first I literally couldn't pull myself up at all; I just hung there. But I've been working on it at home, even if I do nothing else on the pole. I'll just walk up to it, do a few pulls, and then go on my merry way. Yesterday I dropped in on Kate's level 3 class after going to Power Yoga at the Monkey Bar Gym and a really boring, pointless weapons class at karate; and despite having very tired arms, I managed 3 solid pulls up the pole. The most I've gotten is 3 pulls in the past, but these were the first time that they've felt totally controlled with my arms bent almost the entire time. I've felt envious at the other girls in my level 6 class because they've been able to do this climb since Day 1, but the more I watch them the more I realize they're actually using their legs like a straddle climb. So they're not actually doing the move, alt...