Skip to main content

Long Key Vacation

A big weight off my chest. My breath is finally coming easily. 

5 days into our vacation and I finally sit with relief. There aren’t many left, but 2 is better than none. This is how I felt when I was in the car on the way down, right before I called my auto insurance and accidentally spiked it $400 by asking a question. It triggered a weeklong series of car problems, ranging from budget planning (and budget panicking) to registration renewal confusion and DMV website issues. And at the end of the day, most of it was a non-issue, so I felt like I expended all this time and energy on nothing, detracting from what I could have given to my trip. But… I learned a lot in the process. I’m more prepared than I was before, although I wish it hadn’t all happened when I was on vacation. I don’t know what it’s like to not have a stressful vacation, and I don’t know that I ever will.

I need to figure out how to still be happy despite chronic unexpected frustrations. This might be time to talk to a therapist. 

Now, the vacation, in short bursts (photos to come later):

  • Kayaking in Robinson Preserve (has a great bike trail, remember for later)
  • Fishing on a charter (I caught 4 [cat]fish, Adam caught 2. I felt terrible when the hook went through one of their eyes and we released it)
  • Teaching Mer how to jump waves
  • Floating in the gulf like a boss
  • Watching dolphins in the sea from the patio
  • Doing rock-paper-scissors with Mer underwater in the pool
  • Going to Sarasota Jungle Gardens, feeding flamingos (well, only Mer did. The other flamingos weren’t interested)
  • Mote Aquarium (my favorite part was watching the shark feeding. I had no idea they moved so quickly. I also loved the jellyfish exhibit)
  • Selby Gardens downtown (I loved the way the incorporated jazz music into the greenhouse to give it a different vibe, and the artistic way they presented plants and garden features. The contrast of shapes, elevations, and colors was so well done and inspirational. It made me wonder if we can still make any changes to the Gantry at work, or if it’s too late or out of budget. I’d love to add some moving projections of animals swimming, flying, or crawling in the play areas. Right now it’s really static)
  • Seeing sea turtle tracks and nests in the sand for the first time (they looked like human footprints at first, then tractor tread marks
  • Making (and eating delicious food every night: turkey tacos, chicken picata, pork roast, braise beef tip with roasted almonds and spaetzel. Chicken Katsu is tonight. Hopefully, they like it. 
  • Trying lobster (bisque) for the first time and NOT getting sick. But I also didn’t really enjoy the taste
  • Making and drinking margaritas with Thay and Laura. Thay and I were having the best time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

Working on my arms-only climb

I've been working on my arms-only climb for a month now and I'm finally making some progress. At first I literally couldn't pull myself up at all; I just hung there. But I've been working on it at home, even if I do nothing else on the pole. I'll just walk up to it, do a few pulls, and then go on my merry way. Yesterday I dropped in on Kate's level 3 class after going to Power Yoga at the Monkey Bar Gym and a really boring, pointless weapons class at karate; and despite having very tired arms, I managed 3 solid pulls up the pole. The most I've gotten is 3 pulls in the past, but these were the first time that they've felt totally controlled with my arms bent almost the entire time. I've felt envious at the other girls in my level 6 class because they've been able to do this climb since Day 1, but the more I watch them the more I realize they're actually using their legs like a straddle climb. So they're not actually doing the move, alt...