Skip to main content

Long Key Vacation

A big weight off my chest. My breath is finally coming easily. 

5 days into our vacation and I finally sit with relief. There aren’t many left, but 2 is better than none. This is how I felt when I was in the car on the way down, right before I called my auto insurance and accidentally spiked it $400 by asking a question. It triggered a weeklong series of car problems, ranging from budget planning (and budget panicking) to registration renewal confusion and DMV website issues. And at the end of the day, most of it was a non-issue, so I felt like I expended all this time and energy on nothing, detracting from what I could have given to my trip. But… I learned a lot in the process. I’m more prepared than I was before, although I wish it hadn’t all happened when I was on vacation. I don’t know what it’s like to not have a stressful vacation, and I don’t know that I ever will.

I need to figure out how to still be happy despite chronic unexpected frustrations. This might be time to talk to a therapist. 

Now, the vacation, in short bursts (photos to come later):

  • Kayaking in Robinson Preserve (has a great bike trail, remember for later)
  • Fishing on a charter (I caught 4 [cat]fish, Adam caught 2. I felt terrible when the hook went through one of their eyes and we released it)
  • Teaching Mer how to jump waves
  • Floating in the gulf like a boss
  • Watching dolphins in the sea from the patio
  • Doing rock-paper-scissors with Mer underwater in the pool
  • Going to Sarasota Jungle Gardens, feeding flamingos (well, only Mer did. The other flamingos weren’t interested)
  • Mote Aquarium (my favorite part was watching the shark feeding. I had no idea they moved so quickly. I also loved the jellyfish exhibit)
  • Selby Gardens downtown (I loved the way the incorporated jazz music into the greenhouse to give it a different vibe, and the artistic way they presented plants and garden features. The contrast of shapes, elevations, and colors was so well done and inspirational. It made me wonder if we can still make any changes to the Gantry at work, or if it’s too late or out of budget. I’d love to add some moving projections of animals swimming, flying, or crawling in the play areas. Right now it’s really static)
  • Seeing sea turtle tracks and nests in the sand for the first time (they looked like human footprints at first, then tractor tread marks
  • Making (and eating delicious food every night: turkey tacos, chicken picata, pork roast, braise beef tip with roasted almonds and spaetzel. Chicken Katsu is tonight. Hopefully, they like it. 
  • Trying lobster (bisque) for the first time and NOT getting sick. But I also didn’t really enjoy the taste
  • Making and drinking margaritas with Thay and Laura. Thay and I were having the best time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might