Skip to main content

Early mornings at KSC

Started a new migraine medicine 2 nights ago that has curbed the headaches but has also made me constantly tired and unfocused, both physically and mentally. I have a hard time looking at a single object or giving it my attention. Which has made work difficult for obvious reasons. So I called my doctor and left a message with my questions. 

For the second time in a month -- and the first time in my career -- I sat in on a live studio recording. Both times it was for a script I wrote, or at least largely doctored. There's an immense sense of pride in this, and what was even more exciting was how excited and eager the voice actor and AV tech were to do it. 

For the rocket launch towers in NASA Central we made the thoughtful decision to use a different voice from previous recordings, and we wanted Cullen to be that voice. He works in maintenance (or operations, I can't remember) over at the ASVC, and I first heard his voice earlier this month during the Europa Clipper launch. He did an announcement inside the center, and I thought he was the launch director. His voice was so measured, so bold, so perfectly cadenced. And then someone told me no, that's our maintenance guy. And no again, he's never done any sort of radio or voiceover work. Could have fooled me. 

We all mutually agreed in the office Cullen was the right choice for the new interactive, so I invited him to participate and he was thrilled. I could hear his excitement in his emails. 

And then I was told that a guy named Gino from tech wanted to do the recordings. At first we were a little sus, but then we got to talking with him and I understood he really had passion for this sort of work and a drive to do it. I'm all about giving people an opportunity to use their strengths and do more of what they love, so I ended up letting him do it. And then Khristy got sick this morning, so I had Gino do the whole thing himself. 

Both he and Cullen were so buzzed to be there. Gino went on and on for hours about his background and how he wanted to go into Hollywood special effects, and Cullen was telling me about how he wanted to go into a voice acting and had made a rudimentary attempt but didn't know where to start. I told him I would connect him with Meredith, and I hope she's able to help him. I could see the genuine spark of passion in him when he was talking about it and doing it, and I hope this gives him a foot in the door to live those dreams. And I want to get Gino more opportunities to videos, too. 

After that, the day went really slow. I just couldn't seem to wake up 100% and even ended up taking a nap in my car at one point. But because I got to work early for the recording session, it meant I got to leave early. Originally, I was supposed to go to Disney with Laura, but she texted me to say that there was an emergency with Adam; so I decided to use this opportunity and check out the nature preserve right off the NASA causeway that always closes at 5:00.

What a shame that it does! This place is absolutely beautiful. I only got to do one of the loops but it had so much variety. It had shrub, bluffs, creeks, bridges, forest... Seeing the bluffs were my favorite part because elevation is very rare in Florida, and it reminded me of Wisconsin. I could have stared at them and the water beneath for hours. But alas, I only had 30 minutes... 

I also ran into a tiny little gopher tortoise in the middle of the path! He was so small, I was afraid someone was going to eat him. So cute. 

My mission was to see some wildlife, specifically anhingas, which I did not see; but this was perfectly satisfactory. I spent so much time looking at the manufactured like Disney World and rocket ships that I miss out on the natural beauty of my state. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

Working on my arms-only climb

I've been working on my arms-only climb for a month now and I'm finally making some progress. At first I literally couldn't pull myself up at all; I just hung there. But I've been working on it at home, even if I do nothing else on the pole. I'll just walk up to it, do a few pulls, and then go on my merry way. Yesterday I dropped in on Kate's level 3 class after going to Power Yoga at the Monkey Bar Gym and a really boring, pointless weapons class at karate; and despite having very tired arms, I managed 3 solid pulls up the pole. The most I've gotten is 3 pulls in the past, but these were the first time that they've felt totally controlled with my arms bent almost the entire time. I've felt envious at the other girls in my level 6 class because they've been able to do this climb since Day 1, but the more I watch them the more I realize they're actually using their legs like a straddle climb. So they're not actually doing the move, alt...