Skip to main content

Pole 2018 Goals


Having missed a class, I went to go to a Burlesque 1, week 1 make-up class; but it turned out to be a Pole 2, week 6 class! Well, that was fine with me. The other two girls there were super cool, and I liked having Kate as a teacher much better. Sadly, there were still a ton of things (new things or things we didn't learn until much higher classes) that I couldn't do. Sad sad sad. The other gals were taking Pole 3 and since I liked them and figured I could use the recaps, I decided to sign up, too. I'll be simultaneously taking Strength and Conditioning class, so my hope is that I'll still be able to retake Pole 4 when it's all done. 

So, as previously mentioned in my 2017 round-up, I took up pole again this last December (last month). The last time I took a pole class was in 2015 when I was still working at Safe & Sound, and I've been really wanting to get back into it. A lot of it was the time commitment thing, but some of it was just not wanting to actually go out there in whatever weather was going. Again: commitment issues.

But I bit the bullet in November and decided to get up off my ass and sign up. Having not done it in 2 years, I knew I couldn't start off where I ended - plus, I was never super great in the first place. I still couldn't do things other people in my levels could easily. I figured the best place to start would be a level 3 class; but since there were none available until mid-January, I just signed up for a level 4 and thought I'd do the best I could.

Well, it turns out that Patty completely overhauled the level system. The things they were doing in Pole 4 were things we didn't ever begin touching in Pole 6, things like shoulder mounts and inverted Vs. It was... intimidating. And of course I couldn't do any of the things, either. The class is almost entirely strength-based, my biggest weakness, and all but one of the gals is buff as hell. The only moves we learned were a Jamilla mount (which, hey! I finally figured out) and the cross-ankle and regular hang-back, which I found weird, as we learned those in Pole 3 when I was learning.

All that said, my goal this time around is to become strong. Flexibility is great, but I want to become my strongest self, to be able to do things I never could before. I'd rather be able to lift myself off the ground this year than do a Yogini.

So my #1 goal this year is to be able to do a shoulder mount. My #2 goal is to get a better invert and do an actual Ayesha. Eventually, I'd like to be able to do a handspring, but that may be too ambitious a goal for one year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might