Skip to main content

FOOD!

I'm pretty proud of myself. This last week I've cooked THREE new things and they ALL turned out delicious. <3 All the recipes are definitely keepers, and the main dishes don't take more than 30 minutes to make (be still, my heart!).

It all started when I went down to H-mart last week and decided to make the purchase of a Korean stone bowl, while also picking up some fresh tofu for my mom/me and my coworker. I've been wanting to make my own bibimbap and recently found out that I like spicy Korean soft tofu soup, which requires a stone bowl, so I figured it was a good time to get one. I considered if I was actually going to use it or not, but I've already used it twice and found out that both recipes take less than 30 minutes to make; so I will definitely be using it a lot. And it gives me more opportunities to try more Korean food, of which my knowledge is pretty poor. Buying the stone bowl also gave me a reason to buy the long metal Korean spoons that I love. :)

The three things I made this week (all while sick, mind you. Side note: this is the longest I can ever remember being sick) is, in order: spicy Korean soft tofu soup (soondubu jjigae), matcha ice cream, and bibimbap with homemade sauce. They were all delicious, which is rare, given how many recipes I've tried lately that have turned out to be duds.

A note about all three:
Look at it bubble!
The soondubu jjigae was the only thing that cleared up my stuffy nose when I was sick and made me feel better overall. I was worried that the stone bowl wouldn't work on the electric stove, but it worked just fine.


I was really worried that the matcha ice cream wouldn't turn out, but it did and was also exceptionally easy. I didn't have an ice cream maker, but it worked perfectly using just a freezer and still looks brand new. I don't think it has a very powerful matcha taste, but others seem to think it does.


The rice for the bibimbap didn't crust right (i.e. at all), even with the stone bowl, which was disappointing; but I think it's just a learning process, and next time I'll let it sit longer. The sauce recipe I used this time around was to die for, even better than in the restaurants. I will never try another recipe with my bibimbap. It made the whole thing delicious; which was a relief, because the last time I made bibimbap, following the all-powerful Maangchi's recipe to a tee, I had to toss the whole thing out. I have no idea how the actually ingredients tasted, but her sauce only consisted of street red chili pepper paste and it was disgusting. It was so hot, I literally couldn't taste anything else, and even the spicy flavor was terrible. It also took me over an hour to prepare that dish, but this time I deducted a system that would let me do it in minutes.

UPDATE 2/22/18: I also made a bomb-ass breakfast toast this morning, which I then shared with my coworker, Andy, since he was impressed by it. Alas, I didn't take a picture of that beautiful beast. It was a thick toasted slice of Japanese wheat pan from Mitsuwa, covered in a layer of peanut butter and sliced banana, sprinkled with chia and pepita seeds, and then drizzled with honey. My, was it a beaut. I brought an extra slice of bread with me in case my other coworker Sarah was interested in it (she's really into making bread lately) and had some leftover peanut butter and seeds, so I gave them to Andy to eat. He normally isn't into the collaborative lunch sharing that the rest of us are so deeply immersed in, so it felt good to have something he thought looked good and then share it with him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might