Skip to main content

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual.

Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might be able to put in a good word for me or get me an in, and it proved fruitful. The woman from Black Cat Alley said she was meeting with the Executive Director that week and she would be happy to add my to her conversation. Honestly, I think that recommendation is what probably got me the interview. It's proof of how far networking will go, and I won't be scared to take the same approach in the future now.

The second reason I'm so nervous is that my mind is a complete jumble right now. I can't get my thoughts or hypothetical answers straight. The reason is that I've been working so hard to get into another industry, I'm having a hard time explaining this new passion and my old passion (social work) simultaneously. I've spent so much time talking about them separately that I've forgotten how the relate. But they absolutely do. That's been the whole point this whole time. And I'm having a hard time describing this new interest without making it sound like I don't want this job.

At any rate, I'm going to do my hardest to get this job. If I can't articulate myself, I will knock their socks off with my charm, wit, interesting extracurriculars, a fancy visual aids and supplemental materials. Get me this job, employment gods!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

Working on my arms-only climb

I've been working on my arms-only climb for a month now and I'm finally making some progress. At first I literally couldn't pull myself up at all; I just hung there. But I've been working on it at home, even if I do nothing else on the pole. I'll just walk up to it, do a few pulls, and then go on my merry way. Yesterday I dropped in on Kate's level 3 class after going to Power Yoga at the Monkey Bar Gym and a really boring, pointless weapons class at karate; and despite having very tired arms, I managed 3 solid pulls up the pole. The most I've gotten is 3 pulls in the past, but these were the first time that they've felt totally controlled with my arms bent almost the entire time. I've felt envious at the other girls in my level 6 class because they've been able to do this climb since Day 1, but the more I watch them the more I realize they're actually using their legs like a straddle climb. So they're not actually doing the move, alt...