Skip to main content

Pole Update 2

If I'm going to be writing a bunch of these, I might as well start numbering them.

Tonight was my last class of Pole 3. Next week I'll be on to Pole 5(!). I worked myself super hard, and I can feel it in every inch of my body. I'm making visible progress every week, which is really encouraging. I was super sick last Monday, so I was pretty awful at Pole 3; but by Thursday night's Strength and Conditioning class I was back to 80% and giving it my best. That night I was able to lift myself on the pole with just my arms 3 times; which doesn't sound impressive, but when I first started the class, I couldn't even lift myself once.

Tonight was the night that I finally got the inverted V. And more than once, though after a few times my arms were too tired to keep going. I was able to hold it solidly for a few seconds and come down with control. I also tried doing it in reverse from bat; and although I couldn't get it at first, Kate was able to give me some pointers and after that, I was able to get it. Coming down in reverse, my legs are straight; but going up, they bend at the knee. I'll work on that.

As a test, I also tried pulling my knees up to my chest in the invert prep and holding it. To my surprise, my arms just sort of clicked and I felt like I could hold the post forever. No more shaking!

Regarding shoulder mounts, I can now do circular scissor kicks almost gracefully (relatively speaking). When I first tried them on the first day of Pole 3 I was literally falling down the pole and couldn't even get my legs to go from side to side. I thought it was literally impossible. I was 100% sure that I was never going to be able to do it, that it was only for people in Level 8. But by week 4, I was already sticking on the pole and doing a mediocre kick. Now I can do them pretty easily, but they will still need working on.

My scissor kicks feel pretty much the same as the last few weeks: sometimes I can get my toes to touch the pole, and sometimes they fall just short. I felt like they just kind of stopped there and I didn't know how to get them to go up and over onto the pole. I asked Kate and she knew exactly where I was at. I couldn't get my feet up and over because I hadn't be taught the next step, which is to get your butt into the air. So she taught us the next conditioning move, which is to kick up into the shoulder mount, bring both legs together to the top, push your butt up, and hold it there like a pencil pose. Again, I thought surely, I couldn't do this. But lo and behold, on the first try I was able to get my feet up, as well as my butt, and keep both in the air for 1-2 seconds! My butt and legs were kind of bent (not in a perfect pencil), but they were up there! That tired me out again, so I was only able to get it one or two more times that night. As I said, I was really pushing myself.

One of the other cool things about tonight's class was how awesome and empowering all the other girls were with each other. I've become pretty close (again, comparatively speaking) with some of the advanced girls and today we were all helping each other our, sharing moves, sharing ideas and help. We were laughing a lot, messing around, and going 'ouch ouch ouch!' a lot as we tried new things or watched others do moves. The sweet, advanced girl next to me (Michelle) also struggles with brass monkey and hangbacks, so we were able to do that together, which is fantastic. She said she hasn't signed up for any other classes yet, so I'll be sad if I don't see her again. I'll have to find her on Facebook.

One of the moves I tried out and got today was Mercury.
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d4/50/f0/d450f07b52b3059296e5444741dd057e--aesthetics-addiction.jpg

I thought it was going to be super easy, but it turned out to be incredibly painful. It took us a while to figure out how to do it (inside arm AND leg), and when I finally did, holy hell did it hurt! I could only hold it for a few seconds before I dropped to the floor. The other gals tried it, too, but they struggled with it, as well. I think everyone got it in the end, but when I tried to do it with my left arm, I just couldn't. That arm is so weak.

On my way home I felt strong, actually strong. Like I was in someone else's body. I was, and still is, a very weird feeling. I legitimately don't think I've ever felt this strong in my entire life. I suddenly feel like I might actually become one of the girls in the pictures above, and that is a foreign feeling. I'm not the athletic type, but what I actually am, or if I become one?

The only thing that's bothersome about it is that my body doesn't reflect the way it feels. I feel both healthy and strong, but my body looks neither. It's not the shape I want it to be. I have to trust that it will start to look better the better I become at this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might