Skip to main content

Pole update #3

Tonight was my first night of Pole 5, revisited. We worked on shoulder mounts, flags, handspring preps (with a flag hold and split grip hold), the pull-up climb, aerial invert, and spinning handstand dismount (never heard of this one before).

I met my goal of achieving the shoulder mount on my first try, impressing my instructor, Tiffany, who was with me when I first returned to pole. The last time I had a pole class with her I could barely do a normal invert and slipped down the pole when I tried to shoulder mount, so it's no surprise that she was surprised. It was Kate's tip that tipped me over the wall, which was to lift my hips in the air. Once I tried that, I was golden. Sure, it doesn't look or feel very smooth like with the other girls, but I can confidently and consistently do it, which is the starting point. Also, there was only one other girl out of four who could do it. I was worried that I was going to be way behind everyone else, but I turns out I might be smack in the middle, where I feel I should be.

I can't believe how fast my progress was on this. Or at least, it feels like it was fast, although it probably was about 2 1/2 months. When I last left pole I couldn't get anywhere close to doing a shoulder mount with a cupped grip. This time I was determined to only learn it that way. When I first started back up I kept slipping down the pole because I didn't have the strength. I also couldn't do kicks very well and my scissor kicks (from side to side) were terrible. I simply couldn't do them and was actually convinced they were impossible. Within two weeks I was doing them decently and by the end of the 6 week class I had them mastered. Slowly, I was able to kick my legs higher into the air and by week 6 they were touching the pole but not going up and over. That's when Kate gave me the tip.

The other thing I was impressed with was my progress on pulling up on the pole. When I first took Tiffany's strength and conditioning class I couldn't lift myself even a centimeter off the pole. I was embarrassed by it, when she looked at me and I couldn't even get myself off the ground. Now I can pull myself up solidly and do a few small additional pull-ups. Today, using very small pulls of around only 3 inches, I was able to pull myself about halfway up the pole using this method before my arms died out. It's not much, but it's a huge leap from not being able to even get my heels off the ground. I'm confident that in a few weeks I'll be able to take even bigger pulls.

I'm still stuck on my invert and flag. I know I'll eventually get the invert, but I really feel that damn flag will elude me forever. On the plus side, I could tell I was in a decent place for my handspring prep. I think I might actually be able to get that in a few months if I keep at it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might