Skip to main content

Fitness update

Running
I bought a new pair of sneakers a few weeks ago for running (I needed sneakers anyway) and went for a "run" last week in Whitnall Park. They opened a new trail behind the Rock that connects with the ones behind the archery range, and I decided to explore. It turned out to be a lovely trail, but it was really long and poorly labeled. On more than one occasion I was worried I was going to get stuck in the woods past dark and have to call someone.

I didn't, and while I don't actually know how long of a walk it was, I'd guess about 5 miles. I ran a decent portion of that, where it was feasible. I was pretty proud of myself because I was able to consistently run non-stop for 1.5-2 minutes at a time. Considering the previous week I was only able to run 15 seconds, it was a significant improvement. I'm guessing I just needed to get my body used to it once and the strength and endurance I had built up took over after that.

PoleNot much to talk about here since the previous post. Haven't been able to get my handspring since then, but I think my muscles are a bit tired from over-working them. I went to pole 5 last Thursday and the beginner girl who showed up in pole 6 the previous week was at the pole next to me. My instructor got mad at me during class because I was practicing pole 6 moves (when else am I supposed to practice them?), including the caterpillar climb.

The girl next to me stated that she does it a different way and began doing it. It was the weirdest variation I had ever seen, and I noted that maybe it would be easier from an invert. I wasn't suggesting she try it, and I wasn't about to show her it, either; but then our instructor walked past and sniped, "I'm not certified to teach Pole 6 moves, and neither are you." I tried to explain that I wasn't teaching her anything, that she said she already knew it; but she wasn't having it. I stayed totally hands off after that (it was hard because this person had no idea what she was doing and kept almost falling on her head), but after class she thanked me for helping her out, and I saw my teacher send me daggers.

I was initially upset that I made my teacher upset; but after having some time to think about it, I realize she was out of line. All the girls work on moves at their current level and they're always showing girls under them more advanced moves if they ask. It's just commonplace, so I was singled out for a reason. I'm assuming that reason is that I was a former instructor and Tiffany feels I'm stepping on her toes. Which I'm not: I just like to support my fellow students by helping them out and asking them to help me out, too. If I give tips, it's because they're struggling and I want to help them in the same way I want them to help me. It can be interpreted as back-seated teaching, but literally anything could. I just hope this isn't a regular part of our relationship, now.

Monkey Bar Gym: a.k.a. combat fighting
This was a pleasant surprise. The only place in Milwaukee that does Krav Maga is the Monkey Bar Gym in the Third Ward, and I was really worried it would be prohibitively expensive and cult-y, especially after looking at their website. It turns out it's incredibly affordable and I can just buy a drop-in package instead of committing to a membership. So I bought a 1-week unlimited teaser for $25.

The gym is actually really small, only 2 rooms: one for cardio classes and one for combat classes. I attended a Muay Thai class last night and absolutely loved it. It was everything I wanted. I loved the instructor and got along really went with the other 2 students, who told me about a group called "urban combatives" that get together in Milwaukee and do nicher combat fighting.

This morning I tried going to the 11am Krav Maga class but apparently got my days mixed up and missed it. Krav was at 10am and Boxing was at 11am. I peeked my head in, though, and talked with the instructor afterward. It looked super intense, and I can tell I'm going to like it. People were actually doing hard core fighting, with pads and stuff.

There were about 10 people that came out of the Krav class, and about half stuck around for the boxing class, so I got to talk to a bunch of them. They were all super nice. It will be fun to take classes with them.

The boxing class was not at all what I was expecting, or hoping for, but that was okay. It was a good workout and I felt good afterward. It was more like a circuit drill class with burpees, jump ropes, and the such with a few punches thrown in there. No real boxing instruction or boxing focus; so I'll be going to the Muay Thai classes for that.

Krav Maga is cancelled tomorrow for Mother's Day, so I'll have to try that out a different day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might