Skip to main content

Intense Job Interview

My head is a little foggy right now from the "skills" test I just took for a job with the Victory Garden Initiative. It was way more intense than I was expecting, and it was really a lot to ask for in an hour. She told me I would be tested on Google Docs, Google Spreadsheets, and Canva; so that's what I studied. Well, instead of being tested on those things, I was asked to develop a fundraiser start to finish, including planning a budget and creating marketing material, using those programs. That is an insane amount to ask for in an hour.

I got the feeling that the Executive Director is a little controlling from the phone interview and by the fact that she tried adding me on Facebook. Now, I'm almost sure of it. I know that this is her business, so she is deeply invested in who she hires and how good their work is; but this is the type of interview process I would expect from a giant company, not a small nonprofit. It's almost as bad as the 4-hour long interview I had with Polaris in Newark, which I did not get. Maybe this is foreboding, as well.

On the plus side, I got to know Canva in and out by preparing for this test. I know I had looked at it in the past, but I never really bothered to invest any time in it. It's actually incredibly useful. The designs are beautiful and it's very user friendly. It's like an easier version of Photoshop. It's given me some encouragement that I could actually start a fitness blog. I'll have to take a few pictures of my exercise tools and post something on here later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

Working on my arms-only climb

I've been working on my arms-only climb for a month now and I'm finally making some progress. At first I literally couldn't pull myself up at all; I just hung there. But I've been working on it at home, even if I do nothing else on the pole. I'll just walk up to it, do a few pulls, and then go on my merry way. Yesterday I dropped in on Kate's level 3 class after going to Power Yoga at the Monkey Bar Gym and a really boring, pointless weapons class at karate; and despite having very tired arms, I managed 3 solid pulls up the pole. The most I've gotten is 3 pulls in the past, but these were the first time that they've felt totally controlled with my arms bent almost the entire time. I've felt envious at the other girls in my level 6 class because they've been able to do this climb since Day 1, but the more I watch them the more I realize they're actually using their legs like a straddle climb. So they're not actually doing the move, alt...