Skip to main content

Level 6 unlocked! Pole up!


Tonight was my first official level 6 class in pole, and it was a major success. Aside from my arms being too tired in the beginning to do either a normal pole sit climb or quality handspring, I was able to do every move we learned.

What helps me more than the other girls is that: A) I dropped in on a level 6 class once before, so I've already been taught some of these things; and B) I learned a lot of these moves before I left pole dancing 2 years ago and before the classes were restructured.

As I've mentioned before, the level structures are totally different now; so some of the harder things I struggled with in the upper levels before are now being taught in the lower levels and vice versa. We learned a caterpillar climb and extended butterfly in level 4 before, so I have those down pat; but we didn't learn shoulder mounts until old levels 6 or 7, so that was difficult for me to pick up in new level 3. But that means that when we do caterpillar climbs now, I already know what I'm doing, which looks impressive to the other girls. But there are a ton of things I'm still learning.

To my best recollection, this is what we worked on:

- Pole sit climb
- Hands only climb
- Caterpillar climb
- Handspring/Inverted D
- Jamilla into butterfly
- Walkover into bridge from forearm stand
- One-handed walkover/cartwheel on the pole
- Reverse shoulder mount
- Brass monkey from flag

Image result for brass monkey pole trickI was determined to get that f-ing brass monkey today, and suspected that what I needed to do to get it was look down and over while I was kicking and just trust that I wouldn't fall on my head. That last part is what's prevented me from trying to do this, because it honestly feels like you're going to drop right on your head. But I had a good grip and said to myself, "give it a shot."

It worked! After trying that method, I got it on the first try! And then I got it a second time! I didn't have enough time to try it a third time, but now that I have the technique down, I don't think it'll be a big problem. High five to me for getting my longest-lasting nemesis move!

I now can't think of any nemesis moves that I have left, which is a good feeling. There's the Remy sit layback, which I can technically *do,* it just hurts so much that I don't do it. I guess that's kind of a nemesis move... I think Iguana will be my next one. I have a feeling I'm going to have trouble getting it.

As I was looking for pictures of a brass monkey online, I found a bunch of transition moves from brass monkey that I didn't know existed and that look super cool. I'm definitely going to try some of these out:



 

  

Can't wait to try them!

Also, there's a combo I want to try at my next class: Jamilla --> Butterfly --> Extended butterfly --> Bat --> Caterpillar climb

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

January 21: Dinner Hosting, Streets of Rage with Lea

Most of today was spent prepping dinner for Jenny Weinbloom and Jenny Lim to share dinner at my house. I cleaned everything up, bought ingredients (I made japchae and Korean spicy soup), and made everything. It was a lot of fun, although I'm a little jealous that they seem to have a stronger network here than I did when I moved here and still do. But I supposed they've been in the industry longer than me and are also working in person. Well, Jenny Lim isn't, so I suppose I should check in on her from time to time.  We spend the night sharing, oo-ing, and awe-ing over horror stories that have happened to us: Jenny Weinbloom about human trafficking tenants and me about my crawlspace creep. I feel bad because apparently it was really cold in the house and I didn't even notice, and then the house refused to warm up until AFTER they had left. Now it's cold again... I also spent almost 3 hours on the phone with Jamie, AND I completed the block document for chapters 17-21 ...