Skip to main content

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat.

I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shoulders really hurt for some reason. Maybe from climbing up the waterfall?), I felt like needed to let myself sleep in on Sunday. Which meant I missed krav.

Again, Sunday was too hot to do any activity outside. I was all set to go walk around Lake Geneva's lake trail, but it was 100 degrees down there - even hotter than up here. I thought about going to hot yoga at 5:00, but I ended up going to Cedarburg with my parents and missed the opportunity.

So needless to say, by the time Sunday night rolled around I was feeling really antsy for not exercising. I'm afraid that if I don't work my upper body at least once every few days I'll lose it, and that's where I was at. And I had been eating like a bull all weekend (I ate an entire 14" pizza on my own on Saturday after having eaten a giant meatball and potato wrap and Norwegian pancake for lunch. That's not even addressing Friday).

So despite that fact that it was 11:30pm and I was tired as sin, I went on a run, followed up by about 15 minutes of strength training in my pole room (I'm going to start calling it that now). I had a goal of running 2 miles / 20 minutes - 0.25m / 3:30 minutes more than last time - but it wasn't looking good at the start. I could only run 1.2m / 14 minutes before feeling like I was going to die; then I only ran for 4:30 minutes before sputtering out. I often stopped for 10 second breaks, as well.

I gained traction during my third interval (I no longer felt like I was dying) and was able to run 2.12m / 21:10 minutes non-stop. It's possible I might have been able to keep going (my chest didn't hurt or anything), but I was tired and didn't want to. I had met my 2 mile goal, and that's all I wanted that night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might