Skip to main content

Green Tea


I've neglected posting on this blog for so long, there are so many things I could write about. But these days I just don't have the energy, mentally or physically. I just got back from my Route 66-St.Louis-Memphis trip with Emily over Labor Day weekend; and while it was an excellent trip, I'm felling absolutely wiped. It was not a stressful trip by any means, but there wasn't a single moment of downtime. We were doing something at almost every second of the day, and it was a lot of driving on top of it.

Usually, when I have to drive for that long I'm either by myself, which means I can zone out and relax, or I'm able to rest in the back and introvert for a while. Since it was just the two of us, I was able to do neither. I have off this Friday and part of me wants to go down to the spa, but the thought of having to drive that far is just excruciating at the moment, especially since I will have to drive down to Chicago again at least 3 more times this month for 2 ninja weapon workshops and 1 pole workshop (although that might be in October now that I think about it).

So what do I write about instead? The same thing I always write about when I'm feeling burnt out: tea.

I swear I've written about this multiple times over, but I am often reminded of a diary post Kate Haas wrote once upon a time on Deviant Art. She said something about drinking green tea and watching TV on her weekend; and at the time we were in high school and I hated tea, so this left an impression on me for 2 reasons: 1) she liked green tea whereas I didn't but wanted desperately to, and 2) a high schooler spent their weekend chilling on the couch and drinking tea. That sounded so relaxing and completely debunked every stereotype of what teenagers did for fun. Something about it made me realize that I could also do non-traditional teenager stuff and still be cool, that other people we doing it, too.

Ever since then, I've wanted to be that cool person who just drinks green tea on the regular, who incorporates into their cool, chill life. Despite how often I do drink green tea, I've never felt that way about myself. Probably because no one else ever felt that way about drinking green tea, either. You just drink it. You don't sit here and think, "Man, I'm so chill." Although, now that I think about it, it's entirely possible that Kate did think that. She probably drank green tea not because she liked it, but because it was tied to Japanese. That was cool to us at the time. And she was really into the whole, 'I'd rather hang out with college students' / 'high schoolers are so stupid' mentality, very akin to Daria. So it very possibly could have been intentional.

All that said, green tea is my comfort and nostalgia tea. Part of it may have been because of Kate, another part because it was the first tea I really drank, so it's my go-to. The more likely largest part is that I like earthy teas the best, and nothing is more earthy than green tea. It grounds me. I drink green tea at work when I need to destress (like now) and bolder teas when I just need energy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

Working on my arms-only climb

I've been working on my arms-only climb for a month now and I'm finally making some progress. At first I literally couldn't pull myself up at all; I just hung there. But I've been working on it at home, even if I do nothing else on the pole. I'll just walk up to it, do a few pulls, and then go on my merry way. Yesterday I dropped in on Kate's level 3 class after going to Power Yoga at the Monkey Bar Gym and a really boring, pointless weapons class at karate; and despite having very tired arms, I managed 3 solid pulls up the pole. The most I've gotten is 3 pulls in the past, but these were the first time that they've felt totally controlled with my arms bent almost the entire time. I've felt envious at the other girls in my level 6 class because they've been able to do this climb since Day 1, but the more I watch them the more I realize they're actually using their legs like a straddle climb. So they're not actually doing the move, alt...