Skip to main content

Green Tea


I've neglected posting on this blog for so long, there are so many things I could write about. But these days I just don't have the energy, mentally or physically. I just got back from my Route 66-St.Louis-Memphis trip with Emily over Labor Day weekend; and while it was an excellent trip, I'm felling absolutely wiped. It was not a stressful trip by any means, but there wasn't a single moment of downtime. We were doing something at almost every second of the day, and it was a lot of driving on top of it.

Usually, when I have to drive for that long I'm either by myself, which means I can zone out and relax, or I'm able to rest in the back and introvert for a while. Since it was just the two of us, I was able to do neither. I have off this Friday and part of me wants to go down to the spa, but the thought of having to drive that far is just excruciating at the moment, especially since I will have to drive down to Chicago again at least 3 more times this month for 2 ninja weapon workshops and 1 pole workshop (although that might be in October now that I think about it).

So what do I write about instead? The same thing I always write about when I'm feeling burnt out: tea.

I swear I've written about this multiple times over, but I am often reminded of a diary post Kate Haas wrote once upon a time on Deviant Art. She said something about drinking green tea and watching TV on her weekend; and at the time we were in high school and I hated tea, so this left an impression on me for 2 reasons: 1) she liked green tea whereas I didn't but wanted desperately to, and 2) a high schooler spent their weekend chilling on the couch and drinking tea. That sounded so relaxing and completely debunked every stereotype of what teenagers did for fun. Something about it made me realize that I could also do non-traditional teenager stuff and still be cool, that other people we doing it, too.

Ever since then, I've wanted to be that cool person who just drinks green tea on the regular, who incorporates into their cool, chill life. Despite how often I do drink green tea, I've never felt that way about myself. Probably because no one else ever felt that way about drinking green tea, either. You just drink it. You don't sit here and think, "Man, I'm so chill." Although, now that I think about it, it's entirely possible that Kate did think that. She probably drank green tea not because she liked it, but because it was tied to Japanese. That was cool to us at the time. And she was really into the whole, 'I'd rather hang out with college students' / 'high schoolers are so stupid' mentality, very akin to Daria. So it very possibly could have been intentional.

All that said, green tea is my comfort and nostalgia tea. Part of it may have been because of Kate, another part because it was the first tea I really drank, so it's my go-to. The more likely largest part is that I like earthy teas the best, and nothing is more earthy than green tea. It grounds me. I drink green tea at work when I need to destress (like now) and bolder teas when I just need energy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might