Skip to main content

Randomness

I'm feeling down but also in need of a creative outlet at the moment. I don't have the mental energy or time to do anything of substance, so I Googled creative things to do online and blogging was something that came up. That's right. I have a blog.

I don't really have anything I want to talk about - sure, there are things TO talk about, but I just don't want to - so I'll just talk about random things.

1) The Great British Bake Off is the happiest show I know, so I have the soundtrack playing right now in the background while my bathtub fills. I'm trying to give myself a little impromptu spa treatment here to cheer myself up. There's no real reason why I'm upset. I'm just simply depressed. I feel like I'm being weighed down by an accumulation of umbrella factors.

2) It's 11:30pm and I'm wide awake despite having less than 6 hours of sleep and feeling like today was a week long. I had a massage first thing in the morning before work, picked up food for our little John Gurda fundraiser, had lunch at Colectivo, grabbed a coffee at Stone Creek on the way back to work, did a lot more running around, cut up an insane amount of cheese, created a bunch of cheese and fruit platters, stuck around for only an hour and a half of the program, then ditched to go straight to Liquid Motion and Strength and Conditioning class at Miss Pole from 7-9pm. I don't know why, but I was feeling just fine until I got to class. Then suddenly, I had no energy and was overwhelmed by this overarching feeling of doom. Like I was doomed to live alone, support myself forever, struggle with friends, fight for a normal paying job that people much younger than me have and didn't ever have to work for. That I would never become the person I wanted to be. I felt unattached to my exercise classes but they didn't challenge me physically, either. Now that I'm home, you'd think I'd be exhausted but I'm not. I'm just in a weird funk.

3) Partially, I can't stop thinking about Meow Wolf. For context, although I didn't actually want to write it down anywhere to jinx myself, Jenny interviewed me last Monday. Today, she asked me for references. I always feel awful when people ask for references, because I simply don't have any. It's not that I was ever bad at my job or anything; it's just that I don't stay in contact with my coworkers when they or I leave, so they're only good for about a year or so from when I was working there. I'm also always terrified that my references might not be very good: that they might not be very eloquent or do me any favors. So this time I made sure to put people that I thought could do that, like Briony and Meredith. I put Mateen on there, even though she is questionable in terms of speech, but she always speaks very highly of me and will put me on a pedestal for them. And she can speak of many of the projects I did and ability to network.

I hope to God that I get it. I just don't know what I'll do if I don't. I can't handle this anymore, and I would so desperately like to go to TEA SATE and be able to say I got a job in the industry.

But then there's the catch 22 that I'm afraid of the move. Will I like Santa Fe? Will I be lonely? Is it a big enough city that I'd be able to relocate my hobbies like pole and krav? Those are very important parts of my life now, and I'd hate to lose them in a town where I'm already feeling alone with no support network. Being in Denver sounds better, but that's only temporary, so what will making friends look like there?

I couldn't get a pet, although I would desperately want one. I guess maybe I could foster. I'd certainly try to find a way around it.

I'd be leaving home right before the holidays without any vacation to come back. That would be extra lonely. I've been in other states over holidays, but never Christmas and never so soon after moving. I'd literally be settling in while also being holiday homesick at the same exact time. That sounds terrible.

But -- I'd have to do it. Because this right now, this here, is awful. I can't deal with it anymore. I need a future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might