Skip to main content

Fall Falls

I'm glad I posted about some recent wins not long ago because this has been a rough month.

  • Brian fell off the wagon right after we went to visit him. And that trip itself was hell.
  • I have to decide if I'm going to take the Madison job or just move somewhere else. The anxiety is crushing me.
  • I had to tell my bosses what was going on, which was also very stressful because I don't know what I'm doing. And the gossip mill in Milwaukee is just disgusting, especially for an academic division. That shit needs to get curbed.
  • I would have to move to Madison in less than a month. Luckily, Tina is letting me stay with her for a while, but that is its own stress. Moving in temporarily with someone you barely know. You can never get comfortable.

On the positive (because I need to do this for my own sanity):
  • Annika Collier from high school (!) gave me a very personalized, in-depth tour of Madison today and shared her role as an IT project manager. What I learned (positive):
    • Madison probably has more food options than Milwaukee in terms of diversity. It's also supposed to be pretty good
    • It doesn't revolve around UW-Madison
    • The area around Madison is very livable, and you can get most places in 10-30 minutes
    • The commute would be easy
    • There a lot of great comedians that come here, lots of drag and wacky events
    • The aerial scene is huuuugggeee. But pole is not really. Although probably not any less than Milwaukee.
    • IT project management is most about creative team problem solving and critical thinking (developing and tracking goals, communicating needs with clients, finding holes and filling/fixing them, communicating things into laymen language, basically making processes more seamless, making sure projects get done)
    • IT project management sounds fun and right up my alley. It's also more or less the same thing as Quality Assurance/Management 
SO. Bottom line: I may really like this job. I could maybe like Madison for a little while. But it still makes me feel very claustrophobic. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

January 21: Dinner Hosting, Streets of Rage with Lea

Most of today was spent prepping dinner for Jenny Weinbloom and Jenny Lim to share dinner at my house. I cleaned everything up, bought ingredients (I made japchae and Korean spicy soup), and made everything. It was a lot of fun, although I'm a little jealous that they seem to have a stronger network here than I did when I moved here and still do. But I supposed they've been in the industry longer than me and are also working in person. Well, Jenny Lim isn't, so I suppose I should check in on her from time to time.  We spend the night sharing, oo-ing, and awe-ing over horror stories that have happened to us: Jenny Weinbloom about human trafficking tenants and me about my crawlspace creep. I feel bad because apparently it was really cold in the house and I didn't even notice, and then the house refused to warm up until AFTER they had left. Now it's cold again... I also spent almost 3 hours on the phone with Jamie, AND I completed the block document for chapters 17-21 ...