Skip to main content

Little writing win at work

I did something I'm really proud of today. At work, I had to break down the science behind the sound, light, and fog of an engine I'm short, one sentence blurbs at a sixth grade reading level. And I also had to write a graphic about rocket engine test fires. 

Do you know how complicated those things are? They're literal rocket science. Everything else I've talked about so far has been pretty easy to distill down into simple talking points, but not those things. I spent all day today and half of yesterday researching them, and I could not wrap my head around them. Nothing online broke it down or explained the terminology, and different sources explained it differently, meaning that I had a bunch of unreliable sources. It's not this often that I feel unintelligent, but this did. 

Despite this, I somehow managed to break it down and come up with a sentence describing each thing that I thought was pretty good. I shared it with Cole, our resident subject matter expert on rockets, and he gave me a gold star approval! He said everything was accurate, and I was really proud. I was certain there was going to be at least one thing I got wrong, but I hit a home run. It felt really good knowing that I was capable of taking something so ludicrously complicated and technical and doing what I needed to do with it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running update - 2 miles achieved!

The Monkey Bar Gym has been closed during the week because of Summerfest, which means all my krav and boxing classes have been cancelled. My muay thai instructor and I talked about doing some outdoor exercises in its place; but it was nearly 100 degrees with full sun and incredibly high humidity these past 3 days, so that was out. In fact, I went for a walk on my lunch break on Friday afternoon and felt sick for the rest of the day from the heat. I was hoping then to get some hiking, running, or rocking climbing in on Saturday or Sunday, and to make it to a krav or hot yoga class on Sunday; but none of these things worked out. The heat prevented me from being able to do any outdoor activities, and no one was able to go rock climbing with me. Saturday I went up to Baraboo with Jennifer Koss to do some hiking and swimming at Pewit's Nest, but because it was so hot, we didn't end up doing a lot of the former. But I got home so late and was so exhausted from the heat (also, my shou...

Pole update: layback achieved!

I finally got my cross-ankle layback tonight! I wore my new Wonder Woman shorts so I'd have more grip in my thighs and followed the advice from a blog I recently read, which said to go into it from a reverse Superwoman. It worked! I was able to get it every time except for once, when I think it wasn't close enough to my crotch. And then because I was able to get the layback, I was able to work on bow and arrow and got it on the first try. After that, it was pretty easy to keep doing it (especially since my leg grip was so good). Also, my flag is looking better. I can raise both legs now pretty horizontally and hold them there for a while on both sides.  BOOYAKASHA!

Working on my arms-only climb

I've been working on my arms-only climb for a month now and I'm finally making some progress. At first I literally couldn't pull myself up at all; I just hung there. But I've been working on it at home, even if I do nothing else on the pole. I'll just walk up to it, do a few pulls, and then go on my merry way. Yesterday I dropped in on Kate's level 3 class after going to Power Yoga at the Monkey Bar Gym and a really boring, pointless weapons class at karate; and despite having very tired arms, I managed 3 solid pulls up the pole. The most I've gotten is 3 pulls in the past, but these were the first time that they've felt totally controlled with my arms bent almost the entire time. I've felt envious at the other girls in my level 6 class because they've been able to do this climb since Day 1, but the more I watch them the more I realize they're actually using their legs like a straddle climb. So they're not actually doing the move, alt...