Skip to main content

Plants & Query Letters



I was very sick today and stayed home from work (I was going to remote work today, anyway), but during the afternoon I replanted all my herbs (what remained from the packets) and all the seeds I obtained from the farmers market in Bethany Springs, WV during Laura’s birthday trip. The Master Gardener’s tent there was passing out a host of seeds, including two types of peas, cilantro, Swiss chard, arugula, spinach, white beans, pumpkin, and yellow squash. I added some cucumbers to the mix. 

I also repotted a few plants, finally giving my purple and green bush a real home and the plant from my bathroom a container that wasn’t broken (I don’t know how it’s been surviving so well since it lost so much soil). I’m hoping replanting my spider plant and rare plant will bring them back to life (I also gave them plant food), but they look pretty far gone. I’m optimistic they can come back, though. 

I tried finishing my Invisible Man Halloween stand but abandoned it pretty quickly when seceded that I didn’t have enough light outside. It was absolutely gorgeous out; it felt like the first real night of fall — so. I wanted to be outside. I had meant to go for a walk earlier, but my energy levels were draining from being sick, and I was caught up in a conversation with Melody that would have been difficult to maintain while walking. 

Early in the day I decided to push through the jam wall and get going on that query letter for my Eloisa story. I can’t ever publish it if I never write the query letter. So I looked up instructions, found a really good webpage right away, and wrote down the template. It was actually a very simple format, which made it a lot more approachable. There were only a few steps. 

So I switched gears, telling myself that I wouldn’t go to bed until I at least started a draft. It turned out to be a lot easier, and more fun, than I expected. The words rolled right off my fingers and kept going. Having that template really helped. I wrong one short paragraph (a sentence or two for each) on each subject and transitioned to the next. The next thing I knew, it was done. 

I re-read it twice, made a few edits, but felt very good about it! I’ll need to look at it in the morning again with fresh eyes, but I was pretty proud of it. I thought once I re-read it, I’d realize how terrible it was; but that wasn’t the case. A part of me reflected back on the difficult texts I’ve had to send the last month, and how both Laura and Jamie said they were perfectly worded without need of changing a single thing; and that made me feel confident. And when I checked the word count, sure that I had gone almost double over, I was actually exactly where I needed to be, even a few words under (giving me flexibility when I added a few words). 

I’m going to ask my mom and Melody to review my story and query letter tomorrow. I was worried that both, especially my mom, would judge me; but both of them really want to see me to succeed first-hand. I’d like to bring them, especially my mom, into the process. And they might have good feedback before I send it out.

After seeing how easy the query letter was, it felt like actually sending these out might be easier than expected, as well. That’s a feeling I’m already starting to lose, replaced by panic, fear, and anxiety; so future Caitlin: I want to you remember the feeling you had, where you though, “Hey, that was fun — and easy! It didn’t take any time at all. Sending these out would be a snap.”

You got this, Caitlin. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might