Skip to main content

2019 Pole Goals

I don't really have the time or energy to do a proper 2018 recap or 2019 goals post right now, but I can do a pole-related one.

To recap, 2018 was my year to shine in regard to health and fitness. I'm in the best shape of my life so far, and a lot of that is due to pole. I went back to pole in mid-December 2017 and by March had already lost 3 inches and was better than I ever was. It was around this time that I also took up combat sports and starting attempting to run, but that is a topic for the full 2018 recap post. 

When 2018 started I couldn't shoulder mount, aerial invert properly, do a layback, or Ayesha. I also couldn't touch my toes or straddle more than 90 degrees. I focused heavily on increasing my strength in the first half of the year and by summer had added more cardio and flexibility training. Yoga helped a bit, but it was really the strength and stretch classes at Miss Pole that pushed me to new limits. 

By September I had already reached the highest level that Miss Pole currently offers (level 7) and am now beyond it. When I am able to take classes with Kate, we work on non-curriculum moves; otherwise I do a lot more exploring at home. Next week I'll be taking my first silks class with Chelsea from class, and I'm hoping to try lyra soon, too. 

Other than my progression, though, the most important pole highlight of 2018 was my shoulder injury in late summer. It's still healing and there are still many moves I cannot do. It was due to overtraining, which I wish I had known more about (that's a risk with not having many advanced instructors around to learn from). 

Okay, so onto the goals. This is what I wrote from my 2018 pole goals post:

"All that said, my goal this time around is to become strong. Flexibility is great, but I want to become my strongest self, to be able to do things I never could before. I'd rather be able to lift myself off the ground this year than do a Yogini.
So my #1 goal this year is to be able to do a shoulder mount. My #2 goal is to get a better invert and do an actual Ayesha. Eventually, I'd like to be able to do a handspring, but that may be too ambitious a goal for one year."

I did become my strongest self and met all of those goals. Yay for me! Also, elbow grip Ayesha was what I really wanted to get more than anything, and I'm proud to say that I got it. Huzzah!

Because of all the progress I was making, I wrote an updated pole goals post here in May. In it, these are the new goals I listed:
  • ✔️ Twisted grip handspring (make it consistent) Got it but can no longer do it with my shoulder injury
  • True grip handspring (at least some progress) Can't do this because of pain in my wrist, but I learned cup grip instead, which is much harder
  • ✔️ Elbow + regular grip Ayesha (eek... seems ambitious) + fang!
  • ✔️ Pencil (also ambitious) This is a recent development, maybe since 1 month ago
  • ✔️ Aerial shoulder mount
  • ✔️ Shoulder mount into brass monkey I couldn't do this in May? 
  • Cross knee layback (why can't I get this one anymore?) Ugh.
  • Hands-only climb This is on pause until my shoulder is better
  • Handstand/forearm stand I can sometimes kick into a forearm stand now and can hold it longer
  • Cupid/Princess
  • Remi sit and layback
  • ✔️ Russian layback Only tried it twice, but I got it
  • Cartwheel of any sort

  • I got a lot of the major strength moves but my shoulder injury prevented me from moving forward with a lot of them, unfortunately. Certain nemesis moves, like Cupid, still deceive me. I think I should work on those this year.

    With that said, here are my 2019 pole goals:

    • Keep working on building strength but also really work on flexibility 
    • Splits all three ways
    • Get my hands flat onto the ground
    • Deadlift forearm stand
    • Start getting closer to a kick-up handstand
    • Get my behind-the-back shoulder mobility back without pain
    • Deadlift cup grip handspring on dominant side (I'm about 75% of the way there)
    • Regular cup grip handspring on non-dominant side
    • Cartwheel into Ayesha
    • Hangman from both shoulder mount and handspring mount 
    • Brass monkey/flag deadlift... both ways!
    • True grip Ayesha with dominant hand on top
    • Bendier fang from true grip pencil
    • Pencil from cup grip Ayesha
    • Iron X
    • Janiero 
    • Knee breaker
    • Better Dragon Tail
    • Icarus
    • Phoenix on non-dominant side?
    • Shoulder mount up and down multiple times
    • Shoulder mount side to side
    • Made cocoon progress
    • Dangerous Brian bridge
    • Gargoyle 
    • Swimmer (should my shoulder handle it)
    • Titanic
    • Dove to shoulder mount
    • Superman drop
    • BETTER TRANSITIONS
    • Cupid/Princess
    • Remi sit/layback

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

    POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

    Plants in my life this week

    These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

    Job Interview with Harbor District

    I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might