Skip to main content

2020 Pole Goals + Circus

It's that time again: pole goals! Plus some circus goals this year, since apparently I started taking silks classes in January of last year (2019), followed by lyra about a month or so later and then trapeze about 4 months later. I thought I had started aerial classes in 2018! It's my one-year circus anniversary, woohoo!

So in 2018 my goal was strength, not flexibility. Last year (2019), in this post, I wanted to keep working on strength but also incorporate more flexibility.

Unfortunately, I was doing really well and getting pretty far - the circus classes were really helping me and I incorporated a lot more pull-ups into my life -when I sustained an AC joint injury from trapeze. That messed me up real good and set my torn shoulder off for the first time in months, since it was now compensating for the newly inured shoulder. I was 100% off exercise for about 3 months; then, on my first day back to pole, DJ - the owner of Blush (oh, hey, yeah! I forgot to mention that I stared going to Blush in West Allis because I got bored with Miss Pole. It's not great by any means, but the owners at least know advanced moves) - pushed me beyond my limits after I had explicitly told her 'no' multiple times, and ended up shoving my shoulder out of its socket or doing something else horrible to it. I couldn't lift it more than about 4 inches without incredible pain. That set me back another 1.5-2 months, and I'm still feeling the effects of it. I'm much weaker again because of it.

So what ended up happening this year, or at least during the second half of the year, was that I focused a lot more on flexibility than I ever have. I found a yoga teacher I really like on Monday nights, and I started going to those classes while I was injured. They helped significantly. The first time I went back to pole (when DJ hurt me), I had lost barely any strength despite having not been able to do a lick of exercise in 3 months. I had lost my ability to shoulder mount though, sadly, as well as be able to sit up in a layback. They're still hard now. But I think a lot of it was from going to yoga weekly.

I've also noticed that my flexibility is the best it's ever been now, although I don't have my splits. I've had multiple people comment to me that they thought I was naturally flexible - an achievement I attribute to the yoga classes.

But I digress. In 2020, my primary goal is to get my shoulders back where they should be, to continue improving my flexibility, and take my strength to higher levels.


2019 goals check-in:
- ✔️Keep working on building strength but also really work on flexibility
- Splits all three ways
- Get my hands flat onto the ground (I'm getting so close, though!)
- Deadlift forearm stand
- ✔️ Start getting closer to a kick-up handstand (actually, I can do this sometimes!)
- ✔️ Get my behind-the-back shoulder mobility back without pain (much better)
- Deadlift cup grip handspring on dominant side (I'm about 75% of the way there) (kind of lost this one with all the injuries)
- Regular cup grip handspring on non-dominant side
- Cartwheel into Ayesha
- ✔️ Hangman from both shoulder mount and handspring mount (10,000% better than last year)
- Brass monkey/flag deadlift... both ways!
- True grip Ayesha with dominant hand on top
- Bendier fang from true grip pencil
- Pencil from cup grip Ayesha
- Iron X (I was getting so close before my injuries)
- Janiero (I don't think this one is for me)
- Knee breaker
- ✔️ Better Dragon Tail
- Icarus
- Phoenix on non-dominant side?
- ✔️ Shoulder mount up and down multiple times
- ✔️ Shoulder mount side to side
- ✔️ Dangerous Brian bridge (hey-o!)
- Gargoyle
- Swimmer (should my shoulder handle it)
- Titanic
- ✔️ Dove to shoulder mount
- ✔️ Superman drop (this is my JAM)
- BETTER TRANSITIONS (getting better!)
- ✔️ Cupid/Princess (FINALLY! This has been on my list for 5+ years!)
- ✔️ Remi sit/layback

I was apparently super ambitious last year! I forgot I even had many of these goals, and I'm a bit disappointed in how little progress I've made on some of them (like brass monkey deadlift). But some other cool things I got this year that I know I've wanted to do for a while are:
- Shoulder mount to Superman
- Hands-only climb
- Spinning pole!
- 4 pull-ups, 10 chin ups
- Meathook!
- Doubles pole


So my 2020 pole goals will be a lot more simple:
- Twisted grip handspring? --> Phoenix?
- Sideways, deadlift cup grip handspring- Iron X
- Handstand (clean kick-up / deadlift)
- Touch hands flat on ground
- 6 pull-ups, 14 chin-ups
- More consistent meathook
- Plank shoulder mount
- More spinning pole moves

Other aerial goals:
- Aerial trapeze moves (on ropes)
- Straight-arm inverts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pole update 5 / Karate update 1

POLE This last weekend I took my first pole workshop with a traveling instructor. Even though I didn't find it overly helpful (or worth the money), I still consider it a milestone in my pole fitness journey. The instructor was Brynn Route, and we did a series of unconnected floor choreography sequences. I didn't find it very helpful because it wasn't applicable to anything else, and I really wanted to learn some actual pole tricks. If I'm paying $90 for a session, I want to get something out of it that I wouldn't from a regular class (or YouTube). One of the other girls, Jill, was struggling just as much as I was with a lot of the moves in the workshop (Brynn was super nice, but she only showed each complicated sequence twice without a breakdown before having us do it), which was fantastic in camaraderie. At the end of the workshop she turned to me and said, "you're so strong," which just made my life. I told her I didn't really know how to res

Plants in my life this week

These are the plants in my life these past two days (as I volunteered at Leu Gardens): Saw Palmetto Palms (the only native palm in Florida) Lady Palms (these are the suckers that travel underground and attach themselves to each other, making them near impossible to pull out. I've also been informed that they make very popular houseplants) Sword Fern? Camelia Groves This was my favorite one A bunch of crazy Bromelias (it *almost* makes it worth getting them, but not quite) This yellow blooming tree next to this regular tree Honorable mention: my new favorite flower -- the Bush Lily

Job Interview with Harbor District

I went back to edit my 2018 goals post and saw that I was really depressed at the time of writing and therefore, couldn't think of many goals. One of the things I mentioned was that I had no job prospects and felt like I was going no where. Well, since then I was offered a job interview with the Harbor District for their Community Engagement Manager position. The interview is on Thursday and I'm more nervous that usual. Firstly, I really want the position. It's everything I want in a job, combining both my community organizing and experience design interests. It's literally the perfect blend and one I don't think I'll come across again for a while in Milwaukee. It would also be a major step up because this is a top-tier position. I imagine the rest of the pool of candidates are big players in Milwaukee. I want this so badly and know I would be good at it, I just need someone to give me a chance. So I reached out to my entire network and asked if anyone might